Monday, September 20, 2010

Week #3 Computer Software

Introduction to Linux
I'm a little familiar with this system, mostly because my husband is a tech-geek & he has re-programmed one of our old computers so it will run Linux. I've been too afraid I'd break something so I haven't gotten any hands-on experience with it yet. This article has almost convinced me to take it for a spin. I like the idea of an open source product that can be customized to fit user needs, yet it's not that easy to learn ,especially if you're not already a programmer or power user. Linux does seem like it could be the answer to some of my work-related tech issues.

Mac OS X
Mac have always struck me to be (Mac users, don't hate me) a bit "cultish." According to Apple & many Mac acolytes, Macs are safer, more intuitive, better for creative people & easier to use than PCs. To many PC users, Macs are difficult, not for serious programmers/hackers/techies, too expensive, & too trendy. As a long time PC user on a seriously strict budget, I mostly fall into the latter group. I liked the the author of the What is Mac OS X dealt with these differing opinions at the beginning of his article. I also appreciated how the author broke down the differences between OS X, Windows, & Linux while acknowledging the pros & cons of each system.


Windows Roadmap
This article was basically a heavy dose of Windows "Marketing Kool-Aid" alluded to in the What is Mac OS X article - it was annoying, to say the least. It was comforting to find they will continue to support XP until 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment