Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Intro

Hi LIS2600 classmates - welcome to my blog! My name is Tracy Wallace & I'm happy to be part of FT Cohort 10.5. I'm originally from Philadelphia, but I attended & now work for Penn State University (main campus). I have a BA in English, mostly because I love to read (naturally). I've held just one full time job in my adult life that wasn't library-related (receptionist - I was terrible) & after many years of flirting have decided to make it official by getting an MLIS. Of the library jobs I've held, I really enjoy my current job as the solo library assistant for the career center. Every day I have the opportunity to help students find & make sense of the information they need to get to the next steps in their lives. It's especially nice when they call/email with success stories or just to say thank you. Right now my goal is to explore some non-traditional paths in librarianship.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Tracey,

    Before I begin with my thoughts on your first assignment, I thought I would drop in here on your intro to say hello to another Penn State employee working on this program. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you think of the work that is to come.

    --Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anthony! It's great to have a fellow PSU person in the program & I'd love to hear your perspective on some of these issues as a campus library employee. The air gets thinner (so to speak) the closer you are to the "mother ship." So, if I post WE ARE on the discussion board, will you reply? Just kidding of course. Good luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me when I say there are quite a few things that I can say about these issues and how they are taking root and panning out in the campus libraries, if not the University Libraries as a whole. This also doesn't include my time at Lock Haven, where I really saw many of these changes we are reading about in action. . .

    And if you post "WE ARE" on the discussion boards, I might just laugh or come up with another comment to cause a laugh. If we aren't going to get a laugh through the stress, why bother, ne?

    I look forward to seeing more of your posts and your own view on things as they progress.

    ReplyDelete